Thursday, February 14, 2013

Of Preachers and Teachers



Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 
(1Corinth. 2:12-14)


Though I have been spiritually abused, I did not blame God for the lack I had suffered. After all, it was a man, his followers and my acceptance of the doctrine pushed upon me and my children that caused the upheavals in my life. 


Somewhere along the line, I gave up my right of free thought and clung to the opinions of a man who was thoroughly taken by his own intellect. A narcissistic personality who loved to control other's lives and be the center of attention.

So, excuse me if I do not listen to the ideas of other men (or women) who 'preach the truth.'
Don't be offended if I do not embrace the ideas and opinions of another who is revered by others. I simply have had enough of that behavior and I wish to read and study and come to my own conclusions of what the Bible says. 

I chose the above scriptures because I believe that God's Spirit can show me what is right and good. I don't need to have anyone tell me what to believe. If Christ is in me, if I am one of His, I should be able, through prayer and study, to come to the conclusions that the holy Spirit of truth will guide me to...should I not? Makes sense to me!

I have no quarrel with those who would like to listen to a 'message' from the pulpit. Live and let live I say. What I am telling you is that it is not something that I feel I need to do. 
If you have preachers that you like to listen to on the radio, internet or other medium, go for it. My relationship with Christ doesn't change because I don't feel the need to partake in that.

I am trying not to be bitter but I am rather suspicious of most preachers nowadays. I also know and believe that if each Christian is allotted a portion of the Spirit and it's gifts, I need not worry about how much I have. That is between the Lord and myself. He gives, the Spirit guides, and I am then enlightened to God's wisdom .

There may be a time when hearing preaching from a pulpit will be something I will do. Right now, it's not and may not be for a while.
The thought of joining a congregation and sitting in a pew with hymns sung, the shaking of hands to welcome my family, the shouts of AMEN! and the invitation to 'fellowship' is at this time, not a welcoming thought. 

Once-bitten, twice shy as the saying goes. When the bleeding stops and the wound starts to heal, it is sensitive and needs time to mend. So it is with my wound. 
The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear? 
(Proverbs 18:14)



4 comments:

  1. Hey Yelena, good word, and good read. Sounds like you have had a very rough life, understatement I know, but for lack of a better description. I feel for you, and you have my prayers and good thoughts. Hang in there sister. God reigns, God loves you, God through His Spirit will provide comfort while you heal and He WILL heal you! Remember He is MIGHTY to save! Hang in there, you are not alone in this, or in anything for that matter. You have a friend in me. I will pray for you without ceasing. God has blessed me so I seek to be maybe a blessing to you. Hold onto God, He will NEVER let you down! God said it! I believe it! Enough said! God bless & Godspeed sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement! I'm healing up slow but sure.One thing I've learned from all of this: no matter how bleak the future seemed, my God never left my side!

      Delete
  2. Hello Yelena,

    I too have experienced spiritual abuse, and learned the hard way to place my trust in God only, not in mankind. I spent a long time reading the Scriptures in order to cleanse my mind and fill it with God's Truth, as well as extended periods of prayer...sometimes just being in God's presence in the moment. I am slowly healing, but it may take some time. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in this experience. I too will pray for God's love to heal and console you. God bless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina! We need to stay in prayer for one another. Surrendering to the Lord and allowing Him to hone me through the pain will be worth it in the end. I have to believe that there is a reason for everything.

      Delete

Please Take A Minute And Share Your Thoughts