Thursday, January 31, 2013

Typical Jargon Of The IFBer's



One of the characteristics of a cult is that they often have their own terminology. This is true for Scientology, Mormonism, the Jehovah's Witnesses and also the Independent Fundamental Baptist cult.

Words are extremely powerful. They can both elevate or bring down. They can label or they can encourage unity. 

The IFBer's, in order to encase themselves in a false sense of elitism, have successfully created their own jargon. They tear down, tear apart and purposefully fit themselves on a pedestal all in the same breath. I know this because I was guilty of being a party to this  un-Christ-like behavior. I look back on that part of my life and think how shamefully I conducted myself.

No, I didn't necessarily attack others head-on due to a disagreement with their theology, but I did indeed make snide remarks or think of how much better WE were because we 'got it.'

That sort of elitism has no place in true Christianity. Pride and haughtiness are SIN and certainly nothing to be held up as an attribute!

Let me share some examples of the jargon familiar to all IFBer's: 

whore mom-an unwed mother or one who is divorced and raising kids on her own.

reprobate-a man or a woman who do not adhere to IFB doctrine.

Charismaniacs-Pentacostal/Charismatic church members .

The Lost-anyone who is not an IFBer.

Devil possessed-the mentally ill

Jezebel Spirit-what a woman has if she wears make-up or 'immodest' clothing.

Not right with God- anyone who disagrees with the pastor.

Of course, there are many more but this is a sampling of the terms that are used the most.

It's difficult to say how it is that Jesus Christ can both be called a mentor unto all Christians and be dishonored so by the actions of those who swear they are Christian.
There is no show of charity, no forgiveness, no empathy in that place where these devils dwell. 



3 comments:

  1. On the other hand:

    Doesn't any specialized group (religious or not) develop some buzzwords of its own. Are biologists a cult? Accountants? Lawyers? You catch my drift.

    So Jehovah's Witnesses have words peculiar to them. (though none of the ones listed in your post) It's because they're serious about Bible study, which leads them to conclusions that differ from the world in general (even the religious world).

    If they can be called a cult, it will have to be for different reasons, not merely due to their having some specialized words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not calling the JW cult, a cult, BECAUSE of their jargon. My point is that each cult uses specific jargon in order to separate members and non-members. Their wording is a means to
      put-down those outside of their circle, yet to elevate their own status as being 'special'.
      For instance, Charles Taze Russell, founder of the cult, became the self-appointed 'prophet'and was held up by his followers in a 'god-like' status.
      The Watchtower and Tract Society is a multi-million dollar enterprise that is kept rich by sending out their brainwashed crew to 'witness' without the ability of critical thinking. They are coached in responses to those outside of their group and are discouraged from independent thinking. Their job is to push their literature to unknowing seekers.
      My ex-husband's uncle was once a member and spoke of his experiences. He was thoroughly ostracized because he converted to being a Baptist later on. That alone proves that they rely on exclusivity and the power of their own doctrine, which by the way,includes rewriting the Christian bible and changing many of it's passages to encourage belief in the JW doctrine.

      Delete
  2. I have read your material.
    What I can tell you is that as an ex-IFB member, I too hung on to a belief system that taught me man's dogma and elevated human beings (Pastors) to god-like status. I too was taught to ostracize the 'worldly' i.e. certain clothing, movie-theaters, holidays, and especially the 'unbelievers'. I remember my ex spending many hours arguing, persuading, cutting-down those who did not agree to the IFB structure. Yes, I have been indoctrinated and I am still in the process of cleaning out my closet. I battle every day with what I have learned in the IFB climate versus what the Bible I cling to teaches.
    What I have learned is this: sometimes the daylight cannot reach you until you are ready to open a window in that dark room we call a mind. My blog is not about arguing doctrine. My blog is about my personal journey and healing experience. I do not retract what I have written in my last post. All I know is that until I was compelled to leave the IFB doctrines I followed, I didn't realize that it was indeed a cult.

    In closing, I am posting this site as a reference for anyone who has an interest in the damage done to those that followed closely the JW way of life:

    http://www.outofthecocoon.net/

    ReplyDelete

Please Take A Minute And Share Your Thoughts