Tuesday, January 15, 2013

This Is What I Think

No doubt, if there are any Fundies reading this, you'll think I'm a Jezebel on my way to Hell. It's not appropriate for a woman to think outside of the legalistic trap that IFBer's create.

A woman who wants to do something for herself ...like maybe put on a little make-up, wear a pair of jeans or cut her hair, would be labeled rebellious in my old church.
That is 'feminism' in the Fundy book. A woman needs to be subservient. She must never be allowed outside of the covering of her husband or father.

Real Christian women in the Fundy Book of Legalistic Character should always keep their hair long, make babies until menopause, do all the cooking...all the cleaning and home school their kids. Ideally, she should have supper on the table when her poor, tired husband plops down after a hard day working.

Ah yes, lest we forget...After cleaning up and putting our wonderful, godly little tykes to bed, we must now be prepared to be our hubby's courtesan... And the list goes on and on.

I knew a young woman once who had to call her husband at work when she wanted to make a purchase at the store. She must have called him 9 times in the hour we were together! She was so fearful of not getting the right thing that she was forced to question her own sense of judgement about anything and everything.
I might add that she was being abused by her husband in other ways too.

After a few years of living under such constant control, you truly lose all your self-respect and wonder, just what is it that you're doing and why? At least I did!

The ultra-patriarchal point-of-view is truly a one-sided relationship. The belief is pro-man and anti-woman and if a woman dares not agree, then she is labeled as "not being right with God."


My thoughts are this: If a man is Biblically to care for his wife, he should see that love is a two-way street.Now, don't get me wrong, I feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman being a full time mother at home. I simply believe that it should be her choice and that her husband needs to be respectful of her desires.

My relationship with Jesus Christ does not hinge on hair length, diet or a choice of pants over skirts. I'm a better follower of Jesus now than before because I take time to read his word, discuss it with my husband who is very discerning and speaks to me as an equal. We serve each other because we want to please one another, not because he will throw a fit if I ask him to do something.

True, Godly faith will only increase your love for one another not make you miserable.

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
(Rom 12:9-10)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Take A Minute And Share Your Thoughts